Sunday, March 13, 2011

Unforgettable Prom

Last night I attended a fundraiser at the Branding Iron Cookhouse in Mentor.
I could easily write a whole food post about why I love the BIC, but that's not the point today.

I was tipped off to the event from a blurb in Janet Podolak's food column and knew that this was something I had to attend.

The event was to raise funds and support for Unforgettable Prom, an organization that seeks to give teens with cancer a chance at their own prom. I didn't know much about the organization before I attended the fundraiser, but I thought it sounded like a great cause and would be a fun opportunity to get dressed up and enjoy a meal at one of my favorite close-to-home restaurants. I was wrong. Kind of.

Not only did I enjoy a delicious appetizer, great meal and drinks with friends, I had the opportunity to speak with Jane Knausz, the chair of the event here in Northern Ohio. She told us about how the group collected donated prom dresses and distributed them free to girls in a donated storefront at Tower City. The girls were also treated to mini-manicures while they looked through dresses, and the same organization will be doing all their hair, nails and make-up before the event. She was talking about a red carpet set up for the attendees before the event (April 1 at the Cleveland Ritz-Carlton) with a reporter to interview each guest, the limos donated to transport all the teens, the free tuxes the boys get to wear, and so many other details about the dance. Hearing about all the great things the teens were going to enjoy was enough to make my eyes--and my friends' eyes!--water.

And it wasn't just that the event was shaping up to be so special. Jane told us that this would be the first time the event was hosted in Cleveland, and the second time it would be hosted anywhere in the country. I had no idea Unforgettable Prom was such a new thing. Jane's daughter was involved with the first event last year in Florida. After hearing about the cause, Jane wanted to get involved... and now the event is going to be here.

I was really moved by the number of people who had donated services to make the event a success, especially considering this is such a new event. The people involved seem so caring, so enthusiastic about giving these kids a special night to remember, it's hard not to want to participate more.

For more on Unforgettable Prom, including finding ways to donate your time or money, visit the website here.

--Danielle Capriato
DCapriato@News-Herald.com

Labels: ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous plumbing supplies said...

Prom are the most unforgettable event of my life, glad to read your experience too. It is the most memorable night of my highschool days :D

July 3, 2011 at 8:18 AM 
Anonymous Plumbing said...

I was really moved by the number of people who had donated services to make the event a success, especially considering this is such a new event. The people involved seem so caring, so enthusiastic about giving these kids a special night to remember, it's hard not to want to participate more.

July 8, 2011 at 7:05 AM 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home